Re: [AMBER] unit of Bfactor

From: hirdesh kumar <hirdeshs8.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:32:44 +0530

Hi Ashutosh,
I guess, the B factor is unitless quantity. The B factor is temperature
dependent factor. The B-factor (or temperature factor) is an indicator of
thermal motion about an atom. However, it should be pointed out that the
B-factor is a mix of real thermal displacement, static disorder (multiple
but defined conformations) and dynamic disorder (no defined conformation),
and all the overlap between these definitions.
A low B-factor meaning that the position of the atom has been determined
with accuracy. Typically B-factors of Alpha Carbons (CA) are lower than
atoms located at side chain extremities.
For the rcsb pdb file the value ranges from 1-100. But for the MD run the
value is much larger (upto 200 in your case). So I think you are getting the
correct value for your analysis.

Hirdesh