Re: [AMBER] mixing GAFF with CHARMM

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:03:23 -0700

Hi Alan,

In principal there is no reason why one can't mix these two force fields.
The equations are suitably similar that it should work, however how well the
actual charge models interact is probably open to lots of debate.

One key requirement is that the scaling of 1-4 interactions is different in
GAFF to in CHARMM. For GAFF 1-4 EEL is divided by 1.2 and 1-4 VDW by 2.0.
CHARMM does not employ any scaling but instead uses different parameters for
1-4 VDW interactions. In principal these two force fields can be mixed
'correctly' in AMBER 11. One would probably have to hack the prmtop a bit to
get it to work properly but there is now support for the 1-4 scaling to be
different for each dihedral type. I have not tried this mixing myself though
and one should consider it an advanced topic.

So I think the real question is not so much if one can correctly mix these
two force fields but whether the interaction between something described
with CHARMM and something described with GAFF is correct. I.e. H bonding
between a GAFF ligand and a CHARMM protein for example.

This is really just something that would have to be carefully tested but I
see no reason why it would not work okay.

All the best
Ross