Re: [AMBER] Installing Amber9 on Ubuntu platform

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:22:55 -0400

Hello,

My comments are below:

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Arun Gupta <arun.bioclues.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have been trying to install Amber9 on Ubuntu and for doing so I have been
> following the instructions given in the install file distributed with
> package. I am half the way through, but then at a certain point I am
> getting
> a few errors. I was wondering if someone could help me in this.
>
> The first issue is when I try to configure g95 file and after this I could
> not execute any command properly. given below is the error message.
>
> arun.ubuntu:~/amb/amber9/src$ ./configure g95
> AMBERHOME is set to /home/arun/amb/amber9
> Setting up Amber configuration file for architecture: g95
> Using parallel communications library: none
> The MKL_HOME environment variable is not defined.
>
> The configuration file, config.h, was successfully created.
>
> Now the install instructions says... "*You may wish to examine (and edit)
> the config.h file at this point.*" I have been wondering what does that
> means? what do i have to examine and edit in this file...? well next to
> this
> it says
>
> "* d. compile and install the binaries into $AMBERHOME/exe:
>
> make serial*
> "
> and when i am trying to execute "make serial" in the same path i.e.
> $AMBERHOME/src:
> ts giving me the following error
>
> arun.ubuntu:~/amb/amber9/src$ make serial
> Starting installation of Amber9 (serial) at Tue Aug 3 00:27:54 EDT 2010.
> cd lib; make install
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/arun/amb/amber9/src/lib'
> cpp -traditional -P -xassembler-with-cpp new2oldparm.f > _new2oldparm.f
> g95 -c -O0 -fno-second-underscore -o new2oldparm.o _new2oldparm.f
> make[1]: g95: Command not found

This is the key to your problem. You've specified the g95 fortran compiler,
but it doesn't exist. It's also not as easy to install on Ubuntu systems as
gfortran is (not because it's difficult, but because you can install
gfortran with "sudo apt-get install gfortran"). In order to solve this
particular problem, you'll have to either install g95 OR you'll have to
install gfortran and change g95 to gfortran in your configure command.

Hope this helps,
Jason

make[1]: *** [new2oldparm.o] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/arun/amb/amber9/src/lib'
> make: *** [serial] Error 2
>
> and when i am trying to do the same in $AMBERHOME/exe, serial file does not
> exist there. I feel i need to make serial from /src to /exe.. but is that
> correct? and if so.. how..? and since this is not working, I am not able to
> do anything further. Can anyone please help me out in this.?
>
> Best regards,
> Arun Gupta
>
> PS: the highlighted text is the output of terminal

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Graduate Student
352-392-4032