Re: [AMBER] [Fwd: Re: Interaction energy_mm_pbsa]

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:27:50 -0400

Hello,

The decomposition separates the energy contributions from internal (Bond,
angle, dihedral, and 1-4 interactions depending on what idecomp model you
chose), eel, vdw, and solvation terms (esurf/sas). You can just look at the
total value for each residue to take into account the solvation effects as
well.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:47 AM, <moitrayee.mbu.iisc.ernet.in> wrote:

> Is there a way I can calculate the ones in solution.
> As you suggested
>
> "Do you mean getting the interaction energy between two solvent-exposed
> >> amino
> print
> >> LIGPRI) to
>
> or atleast get an an approximation using any module of AMBER ?
> What do the GB and SAS mean physically ?

GB basically takes into account the free energy required to polarize the
solvent in response to the solute charge distribution. It's an average over
all degrees of freedom of the solvent molecules, which is why it eliminates
a lot of the noise typically associated with explicit solvent calculations.
This is the "electrostatic" contribution to the solvation free energy.
There is also a non-electrostatic portion, included in GBSA, such as that
due to the hydrophobic effect, which is taken to be proportional to the
solvent accessible surface area. The amber manual has a decent introduction
to GB and can point you to more detailed articles for information.

Good luck!
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida