Re: [AMBER] Extremely high activation energy was found for a PMF. Any potential source of errors?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 02:13:05 -0400

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Catein Catherine
<askamber23.hotmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>

> I am using PMF to study a drug dissociation pathway.
>

> I did ~ 3ns for each window.
>

> I found the dissociation pathways seems to be reasonable. However, the
> activation energy was as high as 300 kcal/mol.
>

> Could you mind to share your experience with me on if the activation energy
> of as high as 300 kcal/mol seems reasonable when a conformational change in
> the protein receptor is needed to dissociate a drug?

If it's a large conformational change, then it is likely that 3ns is pulling
too fast to regularly sample near-equilibrium (reversible) pathways (i.e.
the biassing potential will do too much work since the process will be
HIGHLY irreversible). How far are you pulling over these 3 ns? Can you
slow the pulling down significantly to see if this reduces the activation
barrier?

Good luck!
Jason

> If it is not an reasonable, would you kindly suggest the protential source
> of error of this analysis?
>

> Best regards,
>

> Catherine

Quantum Theory Project,