[AMBER] antechamber issue with gasteiger

From: Alan <alanwilter.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:41:20 +0100

This a sort of test I am doing and found something bizarre.

I have an ARG tri-peptide (NARG-ARG-CARG), but pretend you don't know this,
and I want to use antechamber to get its topology.

BTW, I use tleap to create the peptide and then sander to optimise it.

If I do:

antechamber -i agRRR.mol2 -fi mol2 -o agRRR_bcc_amber.mol2 -fo mol2 -c bcc
-nc 3 -m 1 -s 2 -df 2 -at amber -pf n

Running: /Users/alan/Programmes/amber11/bin/bondtype -j full -i
ANTECHAMBER_BOND_TYPE.AC0 -o ANTECHAMBER_BOND_TYPE.AC -f ac

---Judge bond type for Residue 1 with ID of 1 and Name of ARG ---

Info: Bond types are assigned for valence state 1 with penalty of 1

---Judge bond type for Residue 2 with ID of 2 and Name of ARG ---

Info: Bond types are assigned for valence state 15 with penalty of 1

---Judge bond type for Residue 3 with ID of 3 and Name of ARG ---

Info: Bond types are assigned for valence state 15 with penalty of 1

Running: /Users/alan/Programmes/amber11/bin/atomtype -i ANTECHAMBER_AC.AC0
-o ANTECHAMBER_AC.AC -p amber

Total number of electrons: 262; net charge: 3

Running: /Users/alan/Programmes/amber11/bin/sqm -O -i sqm.in -o sqm.out

Then parmchk and tleap etc.

* It works. *

But if I want to use Gasteiger charges:

antechamber -i agRRR.mol2 -fi mol2 -o agRRR_gas_amber.mol2 -fo mol2 -c gas
-nc 3 -m 1 -s 2 -df 2 -at amber -pf n

Running: /Users/alan/Programmes/amber11/bin/bondtype -j full -i
ANTECHAMBER_BOND_TYPE.AC0 -o ANTECHAMBER_BOND_TYPE.AC -f ac

---Judge bond type for Residue 1 with ID of 1 and Name of ARG ---

Info: Bond types are assigned for valence state 1 with penalty of 1

---Judge bond type for Residue 2 with ID of 2 and Name of ARG ---

Info: Bond types are assigned for valence state 15 with penalty of 1

---Judge bond type for Residue 3 with ID of 3 and Name of ARG ---

Info: Bond types are assigned for valence state 15 with penalty of 1

Running: /Users/alan/Programmes/amber11/bin/atomtype -i ANTECHAMBER_AC.AC0
-o ANTECHAMBER_AC.AC -p amber

Running: /Users/alan/Programmes/amber11/bin/atomtype -i ANTECHAMBER_GAS.AC-o
ANTECHAMBER_GAS_AT.AC -d
/Users/alan/Programmes/amber11/dat/antechamber/ATOMTYPE_GAS.DEF

The net charge of the molecule (3) does not equal to the total charge (3.00
) based on Gasteiger atom type, exit

This fails, since file agRRR_gas_amber.mol2 is not generated, so parmchk and
tleap will never work.

And if I use, for example babel, to get the Gasteiger charges in
my agRRR.mol2, and do:

antechamber -i agRRR.mol2 -fi mol2 -o agRRR_user_amber.mol2 -fo mol2 -c user
-nc 3 -m 1 -s 2 -df 2 -at amber -pf n

All works, with a tleap warning about the net charge generated by babel.
>From tleap log:

[snip]
ERROR: The unperturbed charge of the unit: 2.969400 is not integral.
WARNING: The unperturbed charge of the unit: 2.969400 is not zero.

 -- ignoring the error and warning.
[snip]

But I get the prmtop and inpcrd files in the end.

So I am trying to understand why antechamber with gasteiger fails with an
incomprehensible error message:

"The net charge of the molecule (3) does not equal to the total charge (3.00
) based on Gasteiger atom type, exit"

Sounds like I have decimal rounds off problems here?

Many thanks,

Alan
--
Alan Wilter S. da Silva, D.Sc. - CCPN Research Associate
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge.