Re: [AMBER] Question about mdinfo file.

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:49:38 -0400

The mdinfo file output is timer-based, and it is only printed when the time
interval since the last mdinfo output exceeds the interval in secs specified
in mdinfo_flush_interval (defaults to 60 sec). The same is actually true of
mdout, but it uses mdout_flush_interval (defaults to 300 sec). With both
these files, the "flush" is achieved by a close of the file followed by an
open in append mode (only portable way to force a flush in fortran, at least
as of f90). The OS may choose to flush files itself more frequently,
typically based on some data metric. This feature exists primarily to force
the flushing of files to disk at some reasonable interval for observation;
some high performance file systems can actually run thousands of steps
before data becomes available otherwise (I seem to recollect that when I did
this, I was using bigben at psc, and you could literally complete a run
before you would see output - very efficient, but generally folks like to
know the run is doing okay by looking at mdout and/or mdinfo).
Regards - Bob Duke