Re: [AMBER] Installation_problem_Ambertools1.4_in Mac OSX

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:32:26 -0400

Hi Raman,

I think it will be very difficult to get this installation to work with
these compilers. I'm assuming that you got the gfortran compiler from
hpc.sourceforge.net as a precompiled binary? I'm pretty sure that compiler
is buggy and doesn't work very well for amber.

My suggestion is to build the gcc-4.4 compiler suite with gfortran from
macports (or fink, but I have my reasons for preferring Macports, but that's
a different discussion). Also build gcc_select and use that to set the
gcc-4.4 and gfortran-4.4 as the default compilers. Then it should work just
fine.

If you want a step-by-step, http://amberonmac.blogspot.com/ has a very
thorough walkthrough that should get it working by following the (maybe
simple?) recipe.

Good luck!
Jason

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Raman Parkesh <rparkesh.gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to configure Ambertools 1.4 in Mac OSX version 10.6.4. I
> Modified the configuration files as I was getting the error
>
> Testing mixed C/Fortran compilation:
> gcc -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -c -o testp.c.o testp.c
> gfortran -O0 -c -o testp.f.o testp.f
> gcc -o testp testp.c.o testp.f.o -lgfortran
> ld: library not found for -lgfortran
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> ./configure: line 1057: ./testp: No such file or directory
> WARNING: Unable to compile mixed C/Fortran code
>

> But after modifying the configuration file I still get this error
>

> Your AMBERHOME environment variable should be set to
> /Users/rparkesh/amber11
>

> Obtaining the gnu suite version:
>
> gcc-4 -v
>
> The version is
>
> ./configure: line 451: [: too many arguments
>

> Testing the gcc-4 compiler:
>
> gcc-4 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -o testp testp.c
>
> ./configure: line 966: gcc-4: command not found
>
> ./configure: line 967: ./testp: No such file or directory
>
> Error: Unable to compile a C program using gcc-4 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
> -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
>
> Please check your compiler settings or configure flags.
>

> I was wondering if any one know work around this problem
>

> I have gcc version 4.2.1 installed and gfortran version 4.5.1
>

> Any help will be appreciated
>

> Regards
>
> Raman

Quantum Theory Project,