[AMBER] Problem with running PMEMD on a cluster

From: ali naserian nik <naseriannik.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:07:12 +0430

*Dear AMBER family,*

* *

I’m trying to install Amber10 on a cluster composed of eight machine. I have
installed Sander and Sander.MPI, and pmemd successfully on each node. I can
employ sander.MPI with no problem. But when I try to use pmemd, for example
in the form of “mpiexec -n 2 pmemd -O -i min-igb.in -o min-igb.out -p
dna-igb.prmtop -c dna-igb.inpcrd -r min-igb.rst -x min-igb.mdcrd” to run
parallel, the optimization does not start and I get the following errors:(

Fatal error in MPI_Bcast: Internal MPI error!, error stack:

MPI_Bcast(786)........: MPI_Bcast(buf=0xd6e008, count=457040, MPI_BYTE,
root=0, MPI_COMM_WORLD) failed

MPIR_Bcast(230).......:

MPIC_Send(36).........:

MPIDI_CH3_RndvSend(70): failure occurred while attempting to send RTS packet

(unknown)(): Internal MPI error![cli_0]: aborting job:

Fatal error in MPI_Bcast: Internal MPI error!, error stack:

MPI_Bcast(786)........: MPI_Bcast(buf=0xd6e008, count=457040, MPI_BYTE,
root=0, MPI_COMM_WORLD) failed

MPIR_Bcast(230).......:

MPIC_Send(36).........:

MPIDI_CH3_RndvSend(70): failure occurred while attempting to send RTS packet

(unknown)(): Internal MPI error!

It is to be noted that pmemd works fine when I run it on two cores of one
machine. However when I try to run it on two or more cores of different
machines, it crashes.

 System/software configuration of each machine is:

 Intel 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

10/100 Ethernet switch

Fedora 12 Linux

Python 2.5

 MPICH2-1.0.8

Intel FORTRAN Compiler 11.1

Intel C++ Compiler 11.0

I patched Amber with the last bugfixes in the website and I configured
sander and pmemd with the support of MKL, respectively, as follows:

./configure -mpich2 ifort

./configure linux_p4 ifort mpich2

I searched very much, but couldn't find any solution for this problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ali