Re: [AMBER] Parallel pmemd.cuda: any preliminary cross-node tests?

From: Thomas Zeiser <thomas.zeiser.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:32:04 +0200

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:12:29AM -0700, Scott Le Grand wrote:
> I'd definitely go for QDR between nodes.
>
> What's up in the air ATM is whether it's best to spread the
> C2050s across as many nodes as possible or whether 2 or 4 C2050s
> per node is the optimum configuration.

for QDR to work at full speed you need PCIe2.0 8x (not only
mechanically but also electrically). Are there any boards which have
four 16x slots and additionally more than only 4x electrically?

At least in the typical Intel-based boards you have two 16x and one
4x slot when there is one chipset on the mainboard; or four 16x and
(several) 4x slots (4x electrically although their mechanics width
is 8x) if there are two chipsets.

Thus, with these boards, the maximum feasable is full DDR speed
using a DDR-IB card supporting 5.0 GT/s; (slightly cheaper DDR
cards with 2.5 GT/s only operate with an effective speed similar to
SDR ...)

--
Dr.-Ing. Thomas Zeiser, HPC Services
Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg