Re: [AMBER] simulation runs very slow..

From: James Maier <jimbo.maier.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:11:47 -0400

Vijay.M,

Many factors are involved in the speed of any calculation.

Are you using a single disk drive? The disk seeking that must occur to
write output to different locations on the disk may be causing I/O latency.
 This is somewhat dependent upon the caching and buffering schemes used by
your system, but increasing the interval (number of steps) between which
information is written may help.

Also, if you have very large systems that, together, exceed available
memory, then some information may be written to disk in a "virtual memory"
scheme. Each time one of the calculations needs some information it may
need to load it from disk, a phenomenon called "thrashing" that can greatly
hurt performance.

You may wish to monitor the utilization of different resources during the
calculations to get a better idea of what the limiting factor is.

James

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Vijay Manickam Achari <vjrajamany.yahoo.com