Re: [AMBER] Polarizability and induced dipoles

From: Mag. Thomas Taylor <thomas.taylor.univie.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:47:47 +0200

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 11:31:16 Ross Walker wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Just so I understand this properly. The chamber patch will take the
> polarizability data from the charmm force field file and include it in the
> prmtop file. Are the implementations of the polarizable force fields in
> charmm and amber identical?
Polarizabilities are identical (Angstrom³)

> Can you just confirm that you tested things in the same way we tested
> things with chamber in the first place. That is run both charmm and amber
> with the charmm_dump_gold flag set and confirm that when ipol=1 in amber
> (and whatever the setting is for a polarizable simulation in charmm) you
> get identical answers (to machine precision) for a single point energy
> calculation. Both the energies and forces should match to machine
> precision.
I would like to but,
-) even though my CHARMM is reasonably up to date, I find myself unable to use
the frcdump command (does one have to specify a certain keyword at compile
time or something?)
-) the only polarization method available in both AMBER and CHARMM are
inducible dipoles, however the CHARMM version cannot work with Ewald and as I
understand it AMBER cannot work without it
-) also if I am not mistaken pmemd cannot use polarisable force fields other
than amoeba, or so I think I remember to have read somewhere (and my tests
sure never worked, but that may be a different story)

However when polarising with induced dipoles in AMBER and with drude in CHARMM
at least mean squared displacement (of coordinates) matches reasonably well
for a large system (27000 atoms in 2000 molecules).