Re: [AMBER] Solute and solvent temperatures in mden

From: Mickey Richards <mickey18385.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:10:02 -0600

Thanks all with the quick replies. Please let me know if it would be
helpful for me to send any input files. The output files are a bit large to
send anywhere.

Also, this thread in the archive states a similar negative (and very small)
temperature:
http://archive.ambermd.org/200708/0146.html

--Mickey

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.qtp.ufl.edu>wrote:

> Dear Mickey.
> I think we will need to look at the code, but it is a bug for sure.
>
> How do I know: negative temperatures are non-physical, and 10^10
> obviously is not either.
>

> On 6/10/10 6:45 PM, Mickey Richards wrote:
> > I am comparing the Berendsen thermostat (ntt = 1) to Langevin dynamics
> (ntt
> > = 3), for a long simulation (250 ns) of a carbohydrate in explicit TIP3P
> > water in AMBER10, using PMEMD, and GLYCAM06. When I look at the mden
> file
> > generated during my simulations, the temperature for the system and the
> > solute are the same, and the temperature for the solvent takes on values
> of
> > -0.2675E+10. These values are similar for both temperature regulation
> > schemes.
> >
> > 1) Are these negative values for the solvent temperature typical?
> >
> > 2) Is there a way to interrogate whether the solute and solvent are both
> > holding their temperatures appropriately.
> >
> > The first few lines of the mden file are below my signature. Thank you.
> >

> --
> Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
> Associate Professor
> Quantum Theory Project
> Department of Chemistry
>
> Senior Editor. Journal of Physical Chemistry
> American Chemical Society
>
> University of Florida PHONE 352 392-6972
> P.O. Box 118435 FAX 352 392-8722
> Gainesville, FL 32611-8435 Email adrian.qtp.ufl.edu

With best regards,
--Mickey Richards
Department of Chemistry
University of Alberta