Re: [AMBER] Parallel installation of AMBER 11 on MacOSX

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:28:55 -0400

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM, George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody and apologies for coming back on this one.
>
> I thought that the problem may had been caused by previous installations of
> openmpi.
>
> So I erased by hard disc (!!!) and started from scratch
>
> The serial installation results in:
>
> Finished serial test suite for Amber 11 at Wed Jun 2 18:12:03 CEST 2010.
>
> 407 file comparisons passed
> 0 file comparisons failed
> 0 tests experienced errors
> Test log file saved as logs/test_amber_serial/2010-06-02_17-42-09.log
> No test diffs to save!
>

> I installed MPICH2 in /opt as per David Watson's suggestion
>
> george1$ ls /opt/mpich2/
> bin etc include lib sbin share
>
> For the installation, I used Jason Swails' instructions
>
> ./configure FC=gfortran F77=gfortran F90=gfortran CC=gcc CXX=g++
> --prefix=/usr

The --prefix=/usr creates a makefile that will automatically put the
binaries/libraries/includes in /usr (/usr/bin, /usr/lib, and /usr/include)
when you run make install. If you want to install it in /opt/mpich2, you
should change this to --prefix=/opt/mpich2.

> make
> sudo make install
>
> In /amber11/src, I used make clean
>
> make parallel give now the following error
>
> cp ../../AmberTools/src/netcdf/include/*.mod .
> cp ../../AmberTools/src/netcdf/bin/ncdump
> /Users/george1/Programs/amber11/bin
> cpp -traditional -P -DBINTRAJ -DMPI constants.f > _constants.f
> mpif90 -c -O3 -mtune=generic -ffree-form -o constants.o _constants.f
> Unfortunately, this installation of Open MPI was not compiled with
> Fortran 90 support. As such, the mpif90 compiler is non-functional.

This is the message that you get when you try to use /usr/bin/mpif90 that
comes included with Xcode tools. The mpif90 that you want to use is
/opt/mpich2/bin/mpif90, so make sure that /opt/mpich2/bin comes in your path
before /usr/bin. You should probably also put /opt/mpich2/lib in your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, especially since building static executables is not
recommended for macs (since mpif90 will properly link the required libraries
at compile time). Do this by putting the following in your .bashrc (or
.bash_profile)

export PATH=/opt/mpich2/bin\:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/mpich2/lib\:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

This is why I suggested building in /usr (that has always worked for me). I
started building mpich2 in /mpi/mpich2/ since I decided to install multiple
MPIs to test (mpich2 and openmpi for now), and with multiple MPIs, each one
will need its own directory so they don't trod on each others' feet.

Another option is to replace mpif90 in your config.h file everywhere with
/opt/mpich2/bin/mpif90, to force the correct mpif90 be used regardless of
what comes in the path first. Note that you'll have to do this for both
config.h files in amber11/AmberTools/src and amber11/src, since I believe
they are copies of one another, not hard (or soft) links.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

> make[1]: *** [constants.o] Error 1
> make: *** [parallel] Error 2
>
> Your help in this will be greatly appreciated
>
> George
>

> On May 31, 2010, at 8:19 PM, Jason Swails wrote:
>
> > Did you make clean in the amber11/src directory before trying to build in
> parallel?
> >
> > It looks like you may have some left-over pieces from a previous
> compilation (in serial).
> >
> > Good luck!
> > Jason
> >
> > --
> > Jason Swails
> > Quantum Theory Project,
> > University of Florida
> > Ph.D. Graduate Student
> > 352-392-4032
> >
> > On May 31, 2010, at 10:52 AM, George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jason
> >>
> >> Thanks for the latest instructions to compile MPICH2.
> >>
> >> However, I encountered yet another problem. Hopefully it's the last one.
> >>
> >> ./configure -mpi gnu in $AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src works fine
> >>
> >> The configuration file, config.h, was successfully created.
> >>
> >> If you have amber11, the most common next step is to
> >> 'cd ../../src; make clean; make parallel'. See the Users' Manual
> >> for information on building a parallel version of AmberTools
> >>

> >> Trying to do a "make parallel" in amber11/src gives the error below
> >>
> >> _schlegel_dg_ in schlegel_dg.o
> >> _schlegel_dg_ in schlegel_dg.o
> >> _evb_ntrfc_ in evb_ntrfc.o
> >> _evb_ntrfc_ in evb_ntrfc.o
> >> _evb_ntrfc_ in evb_ntrfc.o
> >> _evb_ntrfc_ in evb_ntrfc.o
> >> _evb_ntrfc_ in evb_ntrfc.o
> >> ___ncsu_abmd_hooks_MOD_on_force in ncsu-abmd-hooks.o
> >> ___ncsu_abmd_hooks_MOD_on_sander_init in ncsu-abmd-hooks.o
> >> ___ncsu_abmd_hooks_MOD_on_sander_init in ncsu-abmd-hooks.o
> >> ___ncsu_abmd_hooks_MOD_on_sander_init in ncsu-abmd-hooks.o
> >> ___ncsu_sander_hooks_MOD_rem_preinit in ncsu-sander-hooks.o
> >> ___ncsu_sander_hooks_MOD_rem_preinit in ncsu-sander-hooks.o
> >> _qm2_load_params_and_allocate_ in
> libsqm.a(qm2_load_params_and_allocate.o)
> [...]

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Graduate Student
352-392-4032