Re: [AMBER] about skinnb

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:32:34 -0400

The skinnb parameter is essentially an optimization parameter; by default
both sander and pmemd add a "skin" to the direct space cutoff length,
monitor the maximum atom movement every dynamics step, and only rebuild the
pairlist when an atom has moved sufficiently far that an atom within the
actual cutoff distance could be missed in the calculations. If you just
take the default value for skinnb, everything will be fine. At least in the
past (and maybe currently for sander - I am not sure- but never for pmemd),
it was possible to specify rebuilding of the pairlist every nsnb (another
parameter) steps. This is not such a good idea, except perhaps for
minimizations, where I believe with sander it is the default (there is not a
lot of actual atom movement in a minimization). You can get a more complete
idea by looking in the manual at the descriptions of the namelist variables
nsnb, nbflag, and skinnb.
Regards - Bob Duke