[AMBER] QMMM Iron

From: Dmitry Mukha <dvmukha.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:07:08 +0300

Hello, dear Amber authors/users!

I've tried to run QM calculations of FE atom, and Amber has bombed. I use
parmfiles form dftb.org (placed in slko directory) and qmtheory=7.
Calculations run correctly for protoporphyrin IX, but fail on heme and iron
alone.

Output contains (full output file in attachment):

> 3.1 QM CALCULATION INFO

> n_atomic_orb of 9 exceeds max_valence_orbitals of
> MAX_VALENCE_ORBITALS
> SANDER BOMB in subroutine qm2_load_params.f
> exceeded max
> Check qmmm_module.f and parameters.h

I tried run ferrum with qmcharge = 0,1,2,3,4 but it didn't help. I I've
found limitations in qmmm_module.f:

> !--------- SIZE / ARRAY LIMITATIONS -----------------------
>
> ! Locks maximum valence orbitals at 4 = S,P (no D or F - code is not
> present)
> integer, parameter :: MAX_VALENCE_ORBITALS =4
> integer, parameter :: MAX_VALENCE_DIMENSION =
> MAX_VALENCE_ORBITALS*(MAX_VALENCE_ORBITALS+1)/2

Should I edit qmmm_module.f and recompile Amber or sander just does not suit
for qmmm representation of heme alone and heme combined with proteins?

--
Sincerely,
Dmitry Mukha