Re: [AMBER] Neutral aminogroup of N-terminal residue: N3 atom type choice

From: Dean Cuebas <deancuebas.missouristate.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:57:42 -0500

Neutral R-NH2 nitrogen is definitely trigonal pyramidal
bond angles H-N-H about 106 and H-N-R about 110.

Considerations regarding neutral N-termini are warranted, since the pKa of
the N-terminal amine is very close to physiologic pH, between 7 and 8, so in
fact the N-terminus has a 50% chance of being neutral in a physiologic
situation. In contrast, the average pKa for the C-terminus carboxyl is
about 4, so the unless one is working under acidic conditions, the carboxyl
is overwhelmingly in the ionized state.

Dean
--
Dr. Dean Cuebas, Associate Prof of Chemistry
deancuebas.missouristate.edu, Ph 417-836-8567 FAX 417-836-5507