Re: [AMBER] DEBIAN: cannot get rid of xleap

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:09:00 -0400

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010, Amedeo Capobianco wrote:

> I have successfully installed amber by using icc (serial, -static flag) on
> a debian (intel pc 32 bit, dual Xeon HP). Moreover both AmberTools and
> Amber10 passed all tests except one, exiting with an error due to digits
> mismatch. Nevertheless I never succeeded in running xleap. If I try to
> launch xleap I always get errors like this:
>
> -I: Adding /home/amedeo/amber10/dat/leap/prep to search path.
> -I: Adding /home/amedeo/amber10/dat/leap/lib to search path.
> -I: Adding /home/amedeo/amber10/dat/leap/parm to search path.
> -I: Adding /home/amedeo/amber10/dat/leap/cmd to search path.
> XIO: fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server "localhost:13.0"
> after 15 requests (13 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>
> I have read tons of posts, and I'm persuaded the problem lies in the X11
> server. However despite of all my readings, I wasn't able to extrapolate a
> working solution to my problem. All the x11 related packages were installed
> by using apt-get, even x-dev and libx11-dev, before compiling amber.

Do "ordinary" X applications work, e.g. can you run "xterm" or "xclock"?
That would help determined whether this is something specific to Amber or not.

Try leaving out the "-static" flag: if there are problems, it's usually seen
at compile time (not run-time), but other x applications are working, its
worth a try.

People have been running xleap for 20 years or so, so it is probably nothing
specific about the age of your distribution.

....dac