Re: [OFFLIST] Re: [AMBER] Protein + Bilayer Simulations: Role of salt

From: Balazs Jojart <jojartb.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:32:50 +0100

Dear Lalit,
Recently we published our work in JPC Letters, about the MD simulation
of adenosin receptor (GPCR) in membrane environemnt, at 0.15 and at 1.00
M NaCl concentration (Molecular Dynamics Simulation at High Sodium
Chloride Concentration: Toward the Inactive Conformation of the Human
Adenosine A2A Receptor - ASAP publication, doi: 10.1021/jz900403a). We
didn't performed simulation at 0 M (using only counter ions), but in our
cases we detected significant differences in the receptor structures,
trajectories in the different NaCl concentration.
The Jungwirth papers are very important, because they described at
first, that the effect of ions on protein structure is a direct
interactions between the ions and protein side chains. I would like to
suggest two other articles from Jungwirth, which are very important in
this field:
Ions at Aqueous Interfaces: FromWater Surface to Hydrated Proteins,
Pavel Jungwirth and Bernd Winter, Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 2008. 59:343–66.
Quantification and rationalization of the higher affinity of sodium over
potassium to protein surfaces, Vrbka et al, PNAS, 2006, 103(42):
15440–15444.
Hope this helps,
Balazs