[AMBER] Protein + Bilayer Simulations: Role of salt

From: Lalit Dubey <dubey.lalit.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:32:05 -0600

Dear All,

I got a general question and I desperately need some advice/input/expert
views.

What role the addition or not addition of salt (say, Na+ Cl-), while doing
MD simulations, will play in the configuration of the protein configuration
which is docked in a bilayer?

Any pointers, any paper that deals with the role of salt concentration in MD
simulations would be greatly appreciated.

I have a set of three systems consisting of: protein + lipid bilayer +
counterions + water and run them up to 85ns each. However, I don't have
physiological salt concentration (say, Na+ Cl- ions) in any system. I have
followed the system preparation procedures as given in many papers (I can
quote them easily) and they don't talk about addition of physiological salt
concentration.

Now, I am faced with a question regarding the role of salt in MD simulations
(protein+bilayer systems), especially on the configuration of protein?

Is my simulations which doesn't include salt means they are totally absurd?

I need any input. Please suggest.

Thanks,
--- Lalit