[AMBER] RE: Question of Tutorials-A: the total charge is not integer

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 02:02:40 -0800

Hi Tom,

Having a non-integer system charge is non-physical and so there is rightly
no fix for simulating it. You cannot add 0.3 of an ion in the same way that
you cannot have 0.3 of an electron. Generally building a system with
non-integer charge means there is a typo in the entry of the charges, or the
molecule you are using was broken up and never designed to be simulated in
isolation. Typically in AMBER each residue should sum to an integer charge,
the exception is terminal DNA residues which are always designed to be
simulated with their corresponding dual chain pair. This is why the linker
etc in the tutorial does not have an integer charge on its own.

How exactly did you get a charge of 2.3 from the tutorial? What do you mean
by corrected the mistakes?

In the case of the tutorial you should end up with a system summing to an
integer charge. If you do not it would be helpful to know exactly what you
did.

All the best

Ross