Re: [AMBER] TI with soft core potentials

From: Samuel Genheden <samuel.genheden.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:09:17 +0100

Hi

We end up with a similar conclusion as you, i.e. we believe that the
simulations are ok (probably) but there is something system dependent
that we do not understand. But when I think about what I am doing more
carefully I get confused. You see, in the way I am doing the
calculations (identical to the tutorial), there is nothing really
special with a +2->+2 mutations compared to a +2->+1 mutation. In the
first step step I always remove the charge on the mutating atoms (a
C(NH2)2 group in my +2->+1 mutation) and in the third step I always
introduce a charge on the mutating group a (CONH2 group in my +2->+1
mutation). So the only thing that is "changed" from a +2->+2 mutation
is the amount of charge I remove/add. I am correct here? As far as I
understand it. it is in these two steps I should look for errors. So
then I think that we get trouble since we are trying to remove/add a
too large charge, but should not this be cured by taking smaller
steps, i.e. more lambda-values? But we have tried this and have not
got any better results.

/ Samuel