Re: [AMBER] Trouble visualizing with VMD

From: Nicholas Musolino <musolino.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 21:36:07 -0500

Hi Jagdeesh,

Could I ask, how are you loading your output in order to visualize in NAMD? Are you loading any topology information, or just coordinates?

Can I make a couple points:
1. The bonding information displayed in VMD can either be automatically (heuristically) generated based on the xyz coordinates of the atoms, or, depending on what information you load, represent the actual topological structure.
See http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node26.html:
> When a coordinate file is loaded by itself (i.e. just a PDB, no PSF), VMD uses heuristics to replace missing values that would normally be provided by a structure file. If necessary, VMD does a distance-based bond search to determine connectivity. A bond is formed whenever two atoms are within (R1+R2)*0.6 of each other, where R1 and R2 are the respective radii of candidate atoms. If both structure and coordinate files are loaded, no approximations or guesses are made.

2. You can load an AMBER parm (prmtop) file using VMD, and then load coordinate data in from a trajectory. I often run VMD like this from the command line:
vmd -dispdev text example.prmtop example_run_1.dcd
where the .dcd is an NAMD trajectory. If VMD does not recognize the filetype, you can use either the -parm or -Parm (forget which, case sensitive). See this page for more information:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node204.html

3. You can load files and disable the automatic bond visualization using the "autobonds off" option in the "molecule" command. See this page for more information:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node135.html

4. If you provide more info about what you're giving to VMD, I may be able to help more. I have a lot of experience with LEAP and NAMD/VMD, although little with AMBER, so I can't say whether the approach you took in the AMBER script makes sense.

Hope these are helpful!
Nicholas

Nicholas Musolino
Ph.D. candidate, Department of Chemical Engineering, MIT
musolino.mit.edu | 617-253-6675 | Room E19-528