RE: [AMBER] How to avoid Zn parametrization?

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:41:20 +0100

Dear Andrew,

Your Zinc atom is bound to amino-acids. Consequently, treating Zinc as
a +2 ion is quite simple but might not lead to realistic conclusions.
Deriving the charge value of a metal embedded in a bio-inorganic
complex results in a quite important decrease of the charge value in
comparison to that of the corresponding isolated ion.

If you use a 'too large' charge value for your metal embedded in a
bio-inorganic complex and/or if you constrain your system (using the
metal ion value), your MD system might blow up & crash (observed
problem).

Thus, if you do a "dirty & cheap" parametrization, you might even not
be able to get a MD trajectory. Consequently, I think you should pay
the price of a rigorous parametrization for your metal complex.

This is just my personal opinion based on MD simulations...

regards, Francois