Re: [AMBER] antechamber bond type error

From: Dean Cuebas <deancuebas.missouristate.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 23:48:41 -0600

Dear Mark,

Let's see what we can do here...

First, are you sure you want to protonate the aldehyde oxygen to an oxonium
ion???? (-C=O-H)
                    +

If so, then lets take a look. The gaff parameters that antechamber gives
for your main chain using your pdb file are wrong, since the program needs
to "guess" atom types from your "coordinates only" pdb file. To demonstrate
this problem, I put your pdb file into 2 different chemical structure
drawing programs, and got two different sets of double bond locations!

So, first I loaded your pdb structure in VegaZZ (my chemical structure
program of choice), and explicitly put the double bonds in the correct
places. Then I minimized your structure in mopac (PM6). Then I saved as a
mol2 file. I input this mol2 file (retchmopac.mol2) to antechamber, since I
get the best shot at getting the atom types correct using mol2 files as
inputs to antechamber.

The output mol2 file, retchbbc.mol2 has all the correct atom types for a
conjugated chain of carbons (ce and cf atom types), and a check with parmchk
did not find any situation it couldn't handle, and gives a frcmod with
reasonable parameters.
Of course, this is just a starting point. The oxonium is typed as a
traditional OH oxygen, so I would be a bit suspicious of bond length there,
etc.

I hope this helps... and good luck with your work!

Dean