Re: [AMBER] RESP charges of Fe4S4 cluster

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:13:23 +0100

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009, subarna thakur wrote:

> I have calculated the electrostatic potential for the Fe4S4 cluster
> using the gaussian03 and I then want to claculate the RESP charges

Just a note: the electronic structure of iron-sulfur cubanes is a bit tricky
to get right. Make sure you are converging to a good broken symmetry state.
You might take a look at existing charge models:

%A J.-M. Mouesca
%A J.L. Chen
%A L. Noodleman
%A D. Bashford
%A D.A. Case
%T Density functional/Poisson-Boltzmann
calculations of redox potentials for iron-sulfur clusters
%J J. Am. Chem. Soc.
%V 116
%P 11898-11914
%D 1994

Second: although the "RESP procedure" for organic molecules specifies that
one use HF/6-31G* calculations, it is not obvious that this same prescription
is appropriate for transition metal clusters. Be sure to consult the
literature on MD simulations of iron-sulfur proteins to see what has been
tried already.

I know that you posted a question more on technical aspects, but the broader
picture is important as well.

...dac