Re: [AMBER] Langevin Dynamics in AMBER10

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:01:28 +0100

it sounds like you're saying that you want to use a continuum solvent
instead of explicit. this isn't quite the same issue as deciding on a
thermostat.
there are a few things to keep in mind with continuum solvent MD:

- you almost certainly need to use the GB model, and although there are
multiple versions, all have various limitations that you should know about
before analyzing your data, so you know what might be an artifact of the
model as compared to "correct" behavior of your system
- read the literature to decide which of the GB models is best for your
system, and also pay attention to the choice of intrinsic radii
- the computation time per step of MD is probably slower in GB than with
explicit solvent. the only gain is that the solvent relaxes instantly, so
conformational changes that are limited by diffusion rates may be faster in
the continuum model. this is not the limiting behavior for many systems, so
make sure to think about what you want to model
- GB simulations often scale to more processors than explicit solvent
simulations, especially using pmemd
-until you become very comfortable with all of the issues, it's usually best
to choose peer-reviewed articles that successfully resolve problems that are
similar to what you want to do, and then use those as a guide for your
simulation protocols.