Re: [AMBER] question of ibelly used in pmemd

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:48:41 +0100

Okay, there is an &end on line 23 of tus1.in that I believe is unnecessary,
but I don't think it is causing any problems. However I notice that the last
entry in your "belly group" residue listing, on line 49, specifies residues
533-150000. That happens to be roughly 49,000 more residues than your
system has... (the NRES printed out in your mdout says your system has
100,441 residues and 308,147 atoms). I would suspect that the group reading
code in pmemd as well as sander may have a bit of trouble with this, though
maybe I am wrong (well I looked, and it seems the code can, at least on a
quick read, reset any excessive residue numbers to nres; I would still not
do this) Another point, you specify a cutoff of 15 in your mdin for an ewald
run. This should work, but has no benefit whatsoever. In fact, you are
probably running about six times slower than you really need to because of
this large cutoff, and consuming 6x as much memory in the pairlists. The
whole idea of particle mesh ewald, the default electrostatics method in
pmemd or sander, is to combine a small direct space calc (ie., a short
default direct space cutoff) with a reciprocal space calc on the rest of the
unit cell in order to get an electrostatics calc fully representing the
system with no effective cutoff, accurate to 4-5 decimal places, and more
efficient (and accurate) than a pure cutoff system with a longer cutoff.
Here, specifying a 15 angstrom cutoff, you are pretty much shooting yourself
in the foot and wasting computer time. If you want better vdw numbers than
provided by the 8 angstrom default, you can specify a longer cutoff of say 9
angstroms; that combined with the default analytic vdw correction (vdwmeth
1) will give you reasonable accuracy for your vdw numbers. So looking at
the output, you start hot (~444K) and quickly are heating further, I really
don't know what may be wrong with the system, and would have to do a bunch
more work with the whole system to know whether what you are experiencing is
caused by a bad system, bad input, or a bug. Once again, what happens with
sander? The output on group reads, nmr redirs, etc. looks like everything
was read fine in pmemd, but I really can't be sure based on the info I have.
I would try the smaller cutoff (just remove cut = 15 and you will default to
8) on a whim; it will greatly reduce your memory usage, and if you are
running this on 8 cpu's in one box with limited memory (it is a big system),
that could help. But I still think that given that you start at 444K for a
temp, you may have a basic system problem here, that will have to be fixed
by starting over and very carefully considering what you are doing.
- Bob Duke