Re: [AMBER] use of random seed in multiple runs

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:37:14 +0100

Hi Gustavo,
Well, I have not wanted to track through the code to figure out what would
really happen, though it would be simple enough to sample. BUT if it does
what you say here, that is potentially bad. The generator we use is pretty
much "stock" ranmar(), which is a pretty well-described and respected
generator with a very long period (one of several popularized by Marsaglia -
probably not the best available in its current incarnation, but not bad).
It is really two lagged fibonacci generators (with addition as the operation
on the fibonacci generator I believe), and these two generators are seeded
by another generator (a congruential generator of some sort). Various
additional monkey motion is applied to the two outputs of the LFG's to get
the final value in any one call. I WOULD stick to the recommended
constraints (seed > 0) unless the results of doing otherwise are tested (fed
through the diehard tests or some such - but that is work); my basic
philosophy on prng's is that taking liberties with them may produce
incorrect results which are hard to detect, so why risk increasing the
probability that you are generating junk if you don't have to. A dictum in
the MC physics community these days seems to be that it is a good idea to
run your experiments with two different prng's before you start to believe
the results.
Regards - Bob