Re: [AMBER] Running PTRAJ command line scripts in background

From: Jia Xu <xujia.ruc.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 08:16:49 +0100

Dear Bob Hopkins,
    Usually I use "screen" command to run ptraj and other command such as
sander in the background.

     1.Type "screen -S sessionname" to open a new session ("" should be
omitted)
     2.Run ptraj command or do some other thing
     3.Input "Ctrl a" , then type "d" to return, now the ptraj work is
running in the background
     4.Type "screen -r sessionname" to restart the session if you want
     5. After the work finished, input "Ctrl a",then type "K" to kill the
session

You can open multiple sessions at the same time. However, the screen tool
should be installed. Type "which screen" to check if it is installed on your
computer.
If you do not have screen, you may install it from an RPM or "yum" or
"apt-get install"..., it depends on your linux distribution.

For details, please "man screen"

Best wishes,

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Hopkins, Robert <hopkins.uhcl.edu> wrote:

> Amber Users,
>

> Hopefully, this is a simple question with a straightforward answer: Is
> there a way to run a Ptraj command line script (e.g., like the one on p.
> 82 of the AmberTools User Manual) in the background? I haven't found
> anywhere in the command that I can place an ampersand (&) and have it
> function properly (even if preceded by \ or placed in single or double
> quotes). If this can be done, I'd really appreciate knowing how.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bob Hopkins

Jia Xu