Re: [AMBER] Error in PMEMD run

From: Marek Malý <maly.sci.ujep.cz>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 00:37:28 +0100

Dear Bob,

thanks a lot for your analysis !

I made some tests (ONLY PMEMD) regarding your hypothesis.
Just the same short test like previous ones, with the same input files,
1000 steps.

In each additional test I just changed 1 parameter (from my original
configuration)
to see it's influence on CPU time. Regarding to node/cpus setting I have
tested only
one case : 2/8cpus = 16 single processors job where I am using all 8
single cpus per node.

my original setting : 85 s

cutt = 8 : 84 s
ntpr, ntwx = 1000 : 87 s ( strange but true :)) )
ntt = 1 : 78 s
ntt = 2, vrand =1000 : 83 s
ntt = 3, gamma_ln = 0 : 82 s
t0 = 300 : 87 s

As you can see there are just little changes comparing to my original
setting which is listed below (in your last replay).

Of course it is question how the influence of tested parameters changes in
another node/cpu configurations (4/8 cpu, 4/4 cpu ...) or
in longer test, like 5000 steps which you recommeded ...

Anyway in this short test I set originally ntpr, ntwx to 200 but ofcourse
in real simulation they are much bigger (5000).
Regarding ntt it seems to me that you do not recommend ntt=3 (at least for
explicit solvent) so what is your favourite choice
for this type of simulation ?

OK, and now back to the reliability question.

I have made all the tests with my "ifort 11" compilation of Amber and
10.1.019 compilation of PMEMD which just uses new cc and MKL libs.

Here are the results:

#1 - AmberTools - I think OK
#2 - AmberSerial_MM - I think OK
#3 - AmberSerial_QMMM - I think OK

(please see the attached files)

#4 - AmberParallel_MM

I made it on full node = 8 single cpus

Here is my script to run this test:

#!/bin/bash
mpdboot -f ~/.mpd11.hosts -n $NODES
export DO_PARALLEL="mpiexec -np 8"
make test.parallel.MM
mpdallexit
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,<<<<

big part of the test passed without any problems, but after while it got
stucked,
I have waited cca 45 min, for this time period whole processors were busy
for 100%
all the time see this "top" list:

   472 mmaly 20 0 153m 14m 5672 R 101 0.1 43:25.90 sander.MPI
   468 mmaly 20 0 153m 14m 5668 R 100 0.1 46:12.26 sander.MPI
   469 mmaly 20 0 157m 16m 7728 R 100 0.1 45:38.51 sander.MPI
   470 mmaly 20 0 153m 14m 5672 R 100 0.1 46:12.23 sander.MPI
   467 mmaly 20 0 157m 16m 7736 R 100 0.1 45:57.42 sander.MPI
   473 mmaly 20 0 159m 16m 7728 R 100 0.1 46:03.65 sander.MPI
   466 mmaly 20 0 153m 14m 5664 R 99 0.1 45:57.73 sander.MPI
   471 mmaly 20 0 157m 16m 7748 R 90 0.1 45:24.29 sander.MPI
   512 mmaly 20 0 10740 1480 1032 R 0 0.0 0:01.18 top

cd PIMD/part_cmd_water/restart && ./Run.cmdyn
diffing cmd.out.save with cmd.out
PASSED
cd PIMD/part_rpmd_water && ./Run.rpmd
diffing spcfw_rpmd.top.save with spcfw_rpmd.top
PASSED
diffing spcfw_rpmd.xyz.save with spcfw_rpmd.xyz
PASSED
diffing spcfw_rpmd.out.save with spcfw_rpmd.out
PASSED
cd ti_mass/pent_LES_PIMD && ./Run.pentadiene
This test not set up for parallel
  cannot run in parallel with #residues < #pes
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mmaly/_applications/amber/test'
cd PIMD/full_cmd_water/equilib && ./Run.full_cmd
Testing Centroid MD <<<< - HERE IT GOT STUCKED

so I had to kill this process since I do not believe that this test should
be longer on 8 CPUs that just several minutes ...
Anyway relevant TEST_FAILURES file was created (please see attached
TEST_FAILURES_AMBER_PARALLEL_MM.diff).

#5 - AmberParallel_QMMM

This test crashed very soon as you can see on the below listing:

export TESTsander=/opt/amber/exe/sander.MPI; make test.sander.QMMM
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mmaly/_applications/amber/test'
cd qmmm2/xcrd_build_test/ && ./Run.oct_nma_imaged
diffing mdout.oct_nma_imaged.save with mdout.oct_nma_imaged
PASSED
cd qmmm2/xcrd_build_test/ && ./Run.oct_nma_noimage
diffing mdout.oct_nma_noimage.save with mdout.oct_nma_noimage
PASSED
cd qmmm2/xcrd_build_test/ && ./Run.ortho_qmewald0

  * NB pairs 145 185645 exceeds capacity ( 185750) 3
      SIZE OF NONBOND LIST = 185750
  SANDER BOMB in subroutine nonbond_list
  Non bond list overflow!
  check MAXPR in locmem.f
[cli_3]: aborting job:
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 3
rank 3 in job 3 enode11_56157 caused collective abort of all ranks
   exit status of rank 3: return code 1
   ./Run.ortho_qmewald0: Program error
make[1]: *** [test.sander.QMMM] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mmaly/_applications/amber/test'
make: *** [test.sander.QMMM.MPI] Error

There is some problem with MAXPR, but as I learned (after seeing file
locmem.f) this is not a typical constant but variable which
is evaluated by the program it self, or am I wrong ?

Anyway can I do something to prevent this error and to proceed whole
AmberParallel_QMMM test ?

#6 PMEMD test

Absolutely without problems. All passed after while and no TEST_FAILURES
file was created.

Bob I would be very grateful if you can look into attached files and let
say at least to indicate :)) if my instalation
seems to be reliable or if will be better to compleet reinstalation using
your recommended ifort 10.1.021 ...

Thank you very much in advance !

    Best,

      Marek