Re: [AMBER] Partial interactions

From: Ignacio J. General <ijgeneral.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:02:00 +0100

Thanks for your reply Thomas. I think I'll turn to Tinker since I will
probably need to do several changes in the code in the near future.
Before doing that, I still want to do some TI using Amber. But there are a
few details in the workings of Amber on TI, that I am not sure I correctly
understand. So, can you please tell me if the following procedure is the one
used by Amber:

(L means lambda, DL means delta lambda)
1) V_L = (1-L)V0 + L V1. This is the new Hamiltonian.
2) Run an MD of system V0, with forces scaled by L.
3) Run an MD of system V1, with forces scaled by (1-L).
The simulations above are independent of each other.
4) At a given step in the runs, calculate E_V0 - E_V1 m, divide by DL. This
is the dv/dl that appears in the *.out file.

Questions:
1) L (and 1-L) are applied to every force (on atoms in corresponding masks),
or just to Coulomb and LJ forces?
2) The evolution of each system, V0 and V1, in their own simulation, are
guided only by (1-L)V0 or LV1, respectively, right? In other words, the
Hamiltonian for each simulation is not the whole Hamiltonian V_L, right?

Thanks,

Ignacio