Re: [AMBER] Creating conditions for biased MD

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:31:52 +0100

Carlos: late in thanking you. I had to fix hardware and software problems.

Complex:

phi Gly227C Gly228N Gly228CA Gly228C ca 78 degrees (positive)

psi Gly228N Gly228CA Gly228C Gln229N -19 degrees

In a cartoon view, two cylinders make an angle of ca 40 degrees,
interconnected by 227 228. I would like to approximately straighten
that, to get a continuous cylinder. In a helix view, phi should be
turned anticlockwise to reach at least the value -80 degrees (the
value of corresponding nearby dihedral is just -80 degrees, while
farther away it takes normal values, -57 degrees). psi, at least, has
the correct sign.

The bent helix is capped on both sides, but there are other similar,
capped helices around, so that I guess the work should be carried out
on the whole model. If I could restrain the capping groups alone of
the bent helix (while finding a way that helicity, where correct, is
conserved) I could imagine that straightening could occur. Otherwise,
if all amino acids, except 227 228 of the bent helix, are restrained,
how could the helix get straightened? Is that a task for SMD at all?

thanks
francesco