Re: [AMBER] Stability of a long NPT md trajectory?

From: Bill K <bill.mercury.chem.pitt.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:56:53 -0500 (EST)

Gentlemen,
     Thank you for the kind replies to my inquiry. I found your
messages to be confusing initially until I realized my egregious
mistake in applying the ibelly flag. I should have instead put in
my input file (to freeze residue 1):

Belly Residues (dynamic residues)
RES 2 xxxx
END
END
     For edification purposes, though, I found that using ntt=3
and not setting an ig value is what allowed the density to go
such a high value.
     Thank you again for your time.
       -Bill

> There may be a number of things going on here relating to nonstandard
> approach to md, but one thing I noticed immediately is the use of ntt = 3.
> This in itself is not a problem, but one must be certain to not use the
> same
> random seed at each restart - you must set a new value for "ig", and I
> didn't notice it in the sample mdin. I don't understand at all why your
> density would be so high though - there is much more abnormal about this
> run
> than reuse of the same random seed in a restart for langevin dynamics.
> Regards - Bob Duke

>>> 0.0000
>>> 1-4 NB = 0.0000 1-4 EEL = 0.0000 VDWAALS
>>> -305.4604
>>> EELEC = -71680.3923 EHBOND = 0.0000 RESTRAINT =
>>> 0.0000
>>> EKCMT = 0.2890 VIRIAL = 636.5491 VOLUME =
>>> 8314.1509
>>> Density =
>>> 3.8796
>>> Ewald error estimate: 0.9533E+00
>>>

>>> So, instead of trying to do production runs using NTP, should I stop
>>> the NTP run when my density is in the range of (1 or just over), and
>>> then
>>> carry on production runs at either NVT, or NVE with ntb=1 and ntt=0),
>>> or
>>> should this run be self regulating and stable and I've just completely
>>> missed something? I appreciate your time and consideration.
>>> thank you very much
>>> -Bill
>>>

>>> # 1ns Dynamic Simulation with Constant Pressure
>>>
>>> # Control section
>>> &cntrl
>>> ntwx = 500, ntpr = 500,
>>> ntt = 3, gamma_ln = 1.0, temp0 = 300.0, tempi = 300.0, tautp = 1.0,
>>> scnb = 2.0, scee = 1.2, dielc = 1, cut = 8.0,
>>> ntb = 2, ntc = 2, ntf = 2,
>>> nstlim = 999999, dt = 0.0010,
>>> ntp = 1, taup = 5.0, pres0 = 1.0
>>> ibelly = 1, ntr = 0,