RE: [AMBER] Restarting an MD Simulation

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 19:24:56 -0800

Hi Robert,

Upon looking into this further I think the issue is with the manual being
somewhat vague about what nstep0 actually does. It would appear that this
value only affects the effective counter of steps for the NMR restraints. So
for example if you had the following input:

 &wt type='NSTEP0', istep1=10 /
 &wt type='TEMP0', istep1=0, istep2=10,

                   value1=0.0, value2=30.0 /

 &wt type='TEMP0', istep1=11, istep2=20,

                   value1=30.0, value2=0.0 /

 &wt type='END' /

This would mean that on the first step of your calculation (whether or not
it would be a restart) the value of temp0 would be set to 30.0 and not 0.0.
This is really just for convenience in restarts and would only be needed if
you are using NMR restraints to ramp the temperature for example. You could
of course write the following as:

 &wt type='TEMP0', istep1=0, istep2=10,

                   value1=30.0, value2=0.0 /

 &wt type='END' /

Which would have the same effect as setting nstep0 = 10 and so skipping the
first 10 steps of ramping. Thus nstep0 does not affect the actual printing
of nstep in the output file - this always starts from 0 (1 for a restart)
and runs to nstlim. The time however is read from a restart so really this
is the column you would want as you x axis in anything you were plotting.

I hope this helps. I will tweak the manual entry for AMBER 11 so this is not
as confusing.

All the best
Ross