Re: [AMBER] md simulation on parallel PMEMD

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:03:59 -0500

Dave's reply is exactly on target. Now, the reason. If you do shake with
ntc 3, then you shake all bonds I believe, not just the ones containing H.
Thus, when you partition the problem in parallel, coordinate partitioning
has to be molecule-based. So one can in theory fragment the molecules and
have the owners of the fragments communicate, but since shake is an
iterative process that effects the coordinates, this gets very very nasty
from a performance perspective. I can think of other approaches; I just
have not been had sufficient motivation - no one is telling me that H-only
shake is a major problem in MD simulations (this is an invitation for folks
to correct any misconceptions I may have in this area :-)). Also, as Dave
says, sander has this exact same limitation.
Regards - Bob Duke