[AMBER] Off topic. Hardware problem

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:26:55 +0100

Hi:

I apologize for posting off topic. It would not be so if I had support
from where it should.

My question is directed to users familiar with multisocket UMA-type
mainboards based on dual opteron series 800 AMD CPU.

Thus, is it any software (that can be run on Linux) to check if the
CPUs are fully in order? lshw and other software I know provided only
partial help. One of the CPUs has suddenly lost viability to its
4-slots memory bank (shut down in order, the problem arose on next
fully working. All CPUs provide parallelization to Amber but surely
one of them is slower, having to borrow memory from the other banks.
Of course, my writing implies that the mem slots at the non-viable
bank are OK, while replacing, or scrambling, the CPU is the last
chance, as it is quite troublesome, and risky, in my context.

What I am trying to do, is verifying if one CPU has a damaged memory
controller, or rather the voltage regulator, or something else, at the
mainbord (which has chipset nVidia CK804 and AMD 8132) are faulty.

Thanks

francesco pietra