[AMBER] lone pairs on CYX and MET

From: Beale, John <jbeale.stlcop.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:08:42 -0600

I would like to know how Amber handles lone pairs of electrons on sulfur
atoms. I am trying to load the pdb file of a protein into xleap. I get
error messages like the following:

Created a new atom named: LP1 within residue: .R<MET 322>

Created a new atom named: LP2 within residue: .R<MET 322>

I get these messages for all of the methionine and cysteine residues in
the pdb file of the protein. When I try to do "saveAmberParm" I get the
following messages:

FATAL: Atom .R<MET 322> .A<LP1 18> does not have a type.

FATAL: Atom .R<MET 322> .A<LP2 19> does not have a type.

Again, there is a FATAL message for all of the MET and CYX residues in
the pdb file.

And the parameter file is not saved.

I can get the file to save if I go into the pdb file and delete all of
the lines referring to LP's. I don't like to do this because I think
that I am leaving out some critical information.

Can someone tell me how I can remedy the problem?

Thanks!

John Beale