Re: AMBER: Heating up

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:30:29 -0500

I advise against heating from zero in any case. the details depend a
bit on the thermostat type, etc, but I think it can still be dangerous
to ramp the temperature too much. an extreme example is with a
Berendsen thermostat- if part of the system is a bit high in energy
when you start, even if it is in a local minimum, it can result in
very hot sections of the system. for example, if you start at 10K and
a side chain was strained and picks up just a little extra kinetic
energy , say enough to put it at 50K, then when you scale the bath to
300K, the 50K part gets scaled to 1500K. If you start at 100K and part
is 50K hotter, then it's not nearly as bad a problem.

ramping the temperature by a large factor in a short run requires a
really good thermostat and good coupling between various parts of the
simulated system (which can be worse in GB, which may be why you were
advised to be especially careful there).