RE: AMBER: regarding rigid molecules

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:53:29 -0700

I think what the original poster wants to do though is something akin to how
triangulated water works, I.e. not keep the CO2 fixed but keep it rigid and,
I assume, linear.

My first approach would be to shake the O-C-O bonds and see what happens
(using a shake mask that also shakes other H's if needed) although as Steven
points out this may not work for linear molecules. The other option would be
to shake the angle O-C-O as well as the bonds but sander's shake was never
designed to shake angles. You could specify an O-C-O angle parameter of 180o
with a very large force constant and O-C bonds with similarly high force
constants - this may cause integration problems due to high frequency
oscillations - but it may work, it would just need testing. You'd probably
need the fictitious O-O bond as well.

The main question though is why one wants rigid CO2 in the first place since
it won't help you with time step issues - unless you shake all the other
heavy atoms in your system.

All the best
Ross