Re: AMBER: regarding rigid molecules

From: Steven Winfield <saw44.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:30:31 +0100

Aneesh,

I think as a general rule SHAKE cannot handle linear molecules - taking
CO2 as an example, if the C atom wanders out of line the algorithm can't
bring it back into line by applying forces which are aligned along the
direction of the molecule (i.e. the previous perfectly linear
configuration).

As a workaround, it might be possible to SHAKE a fictitious O-O bond,
then connect these with 'normal' bonds to the C (with a sufficiently
high force constant) but this is a bit of a hack.

Steve.