Re: AMBER: problems with ptraj and strip waters

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:29:56 -0400

steve- not sure what's going wrong, but here are some thoughts:

use ambpdb to make a pdb file from your solvated prmtop/restart. delete the
waters, and see how many atoms are in the pdb. (use pdb since you can tell
where the water starts). then compare this to the number of atoms in your
nowater prmtop. you could also just load 1 frame in ptraj (not the whole
traj) by using the start/stop flags to trajin, and trajout to a pdb file,
not a trjaectory format. look at the pdb and see if it looks like what you
get from ambpdb on your nowater prmtop/crd that you created with leap. or,
you might get the info you need from the ATOMS_PER_MOLECULE flag in the 2
prmtop files. they should match for your solvated/not prmtops, except for
the 3s.

is there any more info in the VMD console when you try to load the
trajectory? I still can't imagine why it would want #atoms from a trajectory
file- it's not there.

do you have any ions (anything not called WAT) that might differ from the
solvated/not systems?