Re: AMBER: Explanation of the energy unit ?

From: Marek Malý <maly.sci.ujep.cz>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:15:43 +0200

Hi Gustavo,

thanks for your contribution.

As I see you just repeated my interpretation (pls see my last contribution
in detail)
so of course that I have to agree with your opinion regarding to
[kcal/mol] unit understanding.

Regarding to Carlos reaction I only noticed that Carlos sentence:

"...that is that the energy reported does not depend on how
many molecules you are measuring/simulating."

  is not probably valid.

which is true since from my simple exmple with H2O follows that
energy in [kcal/mol] unit depends on number of simulated molecules H2O and
constant is only number E/N where E is the energy and N number of H2O
molecules.

 From this point of view unit [kcal/mol] behave quite the same like another
energy units
like "J", "kcal", "eV" and if I am not wrong Carlos wanted to show that
this not true,
that [kcal/mol] behave differently.

But maybe that I didn't understand above Carlos sentence well.

I think that the interpretation of [kcal/mol] unit is now clear to all :))
but
still is here question (at least on my side) why was this special unit
introduced.

    Marek

http://www.opera.com/mail/