Re: AMBER: pmemd iwrap trouble

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:26:54 -0400

Hi Bob,
thanks for looking into this so thoroughly!
carlos

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Okay gang, I have reviewed the pmemd vs. sander code as it applies to
> wrapping in general, and wrapping the truncated octahedron in particular.
> The code, as I said, is basically derived from code that existed in amber 6
> sander. Since then, there has been 1 bugfix, applied to both sander and
> pmemd. In addition, in sander 6 there was conditionally compiled code that
> opted to use the fortran 90 sign() intrinsic instead of a conditional (foo
> .gt. bar) to determine whether or not to add or subtract a value to
> coordinates in wrapping molecules for the truncated octahedron. Since amber
> 6 the code that uses sign() has become the default for sander but not pmemd.
> This is probably a bit faster, but insignificantly so, given the frequency
> of wrapping. The other "feature" you get from using sign() is slightly
> enhanced precision, whereby this function distinguishes between +0.d0 and
> -0.d0. Using the conditional as pmemd does, all values that evaluate to
> 0.d0 to within the precision of storage wrap in one direction; for sander
> using sign(), half the 0.d0 values go one way and the other half go the
> other way. This is basically an insignificant difference in a rare event,
> but would have potential to cause sander and pmemd to do a slightly
> different wrap. I don't think you can do something equivalent in C, and the
> f90 spec states that sign() is the only place where this distinction is made
> in f90. So for all intents and purposes, sander and pmemd do the same
> thing, and it is correct... I do not know what the correct machinations to
> get what you want in ptraj are, but Tom C. is obviously the authority, so I
> would do what he says. I tend to just do single step wraps in pmemd to
> prevent restart overflow, and I never worry about imaging truncated
> octahedra (I rarely use them). There was an indication from Tom C. that a
> recent release of ptraj was broken, so that is potentially a source of some
> grief here. I think we have beat this to death by now, and I hope everyone
> has what they need (if not, keep squawking); I am reasonably confident that
> pmemd is doing the "right" thing.
> Regards - Bob Duke
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Duke" <rduke.email.unc.edu>

Carlos L. Simmerling, Ph.D.
Associate Professor Phone: (631) 632-1336
Center for Structural Biology Fax: (631) 632-1555
CMM Bldg, Room G80
Stony Brook University E-mail: carlos.simmerling.gmail.com
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5115 Web: http://comp.chem.sunysb.edu