Re: AMBER: pmemd iwrap trouble

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:35:53 -0400

Bob- a an aside to this, I'm having trouble with ptraj imaging pmemd
traj files. I never had this with sander, but with pmemd many of the
frames don't properly image a dimer. Do you know which ptraj image
syntax/options match that used in pmemd? I'm using this, which always
works for sander for an 830 residue protein (415 in each monomer). I
want the dimer to be reconstructed properly.

center :1-415 mass origin
image origin center familiar

but often the imaging isn't right- the rmsd for the dimer is a few A
larger than it should be, and then it hops back to normal values. you
can also see shifts in the dimer during the MD in VMD< then it hops
back again. I know it's an imaging issue- do you know how to fix it?
thanks
carlos

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Hi Lars,
> It should be perfectly compatible; I just checked over the code and iwrap is
> used regardless of box type for both restart and mdcrd. However, I do
> believe that if ioutfm = 1 (ie., binary restart file), it is true that
> wrapping does not occur. It is actually not needed in the case of a binary
> restart - overflow is not practically possible. We should probably document
> this "feature" or release a patch to change the behaviour (the problem is
> caused by the fact that writes of the binary restarts occur on the actual
> coordinates, whereas all wrapping is done on a temporary copy of the
> coordinates because you don't want to actually wrap the coordinates
> internally. This should not be affecting your trajectory, just the restart
> file. Since you see this with ioutfm 0, I suspect this is also an issue of
> the truncated octahedron not looking right in vmd, but am not at all
> certain. Seems I once heard Darden say something about this stuff (I think
> he wrote the trunc. oct. wrapping code). Tom? I'll look at all the
> relevant code in both pmemd and sander later in the week when I have my
> source machine up, talk to other key amber guys, and post something to the
> list as to what, if anything we intend to do about binary restarts not being
> wrapped.
> Best Regards - Bob
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lars Skjærven"
> <lars.skjarven.biomed.uib.no>

>>> ntb = 1,
>>> cut = 10,
>>> ntc = 2, ntf = 2,
>>> ntt = 0,
>>> nstlim = 1, dt = 0.001,
>>> iwrap = 1, ioutfm=0
>>> /
>>>
>>> Am I sure it is not just an imaging problem?
>>>
>>> I think its not: In the multimer simulation (which gets a few subunits
>>> displaced during the run with iwrap=1) the rmsd jumps from 3Å to 80Å
>>> when doing rmsd analysis in ptraj. for the monomer simulation the rmsd
>>> does not yield an immediate jump, but continuing the simulation after
>>> iwrap=1 yields and increasing rmsd value after a few more ns. maybe
>>> implying that the protein has been translated and starts interacting
>>> with an image?
>>>
>>> I will continue working on this and let you know if I find anything
>>> else..
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Lars

Carlos L. Simmerling, Ph.D.
Associate Professor Phone: (631) 632-1336
Center for Structural Biology Fax: (631) 632-1555
CMM Bldg, Room G80
Stony Brook University E-mail: carlos.simmerling.gmail.com
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5115 Web: http://comp.chem.sunysb.edu