RE: AMBER: how to extract energy

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 00:24:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi:
That is a topic of great interest, for example when comparing docked ligands.Quite often, the situation of explicit environment (solvent and other membrane components, remembering that membrane proteins represent about 30% of genetically encoded proteins and about 60% of targets in pharmaceutically oriented studies).

May I ask if the limitation mentioned below for explicit solvent is from theory or is it amenable by further developing the code?

To this regard I would be much interested in opinions about Aqvist's "MD ...free energy perturbation", recently updated: M Nervall, P Hanspers, J Carlsson, L Boukharta, J Aqvist "Predicting binding modes from free energy calculations" J Med Che 2008, 51, 2657-2667. Does it represent a solution of the above "explicit solvent issue"? I know that the proteins in this study are not transmembrane proteins, though the "free energy perturbation" methodology was applied before to transmembrane proteins.

Thanks
francesco pietra