AMBER: Versions of mopac

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 19:04:10 -0700

On Fri, May 16, 2008, Thomas Patko wrote:

> Perhaps MOPAC 7.1 might be a good option if anyone is
> interested to switch over. It would seem that this should
> work for newer compilers?
>
> http://www.openmopac.net/Downloads/Downloads.html

Do you have personal experience with this? I have tried out many versions of
mopac (mopac509mn, mopac6, mopac7, mopac7-1.10), and only mopac6 seemed to fit
our needs. The Mopac_7.1source files at the above site uses Microsoft Visual
Studio, so we would have to convert to Unix-style Makefiles. It would be nice
to know if anyone on the list has done this, or has experience with the
Mopac7.1 fortran 90 codes.

As I said, I am still hoping that we can replace these versions with our own
code soon. Also, since mopac6 now seems to compile OK for us with both g77
and gfortran, and since this code has served out needs for some time, I'm
reluctant (but not completely unwilling) to look at alternatives here.

...dac