RE: AMBER: query regarding energy minimization

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:16:11 -0700

Hi Anamika,

There is no requirement for you to minimize the solvent first and then the
solute. In most cases, since minimization is done just to remove bad
contacts prior to MD then it is fine to just do a few hundred steps of
minimization on everything at once. However it can't hurt to be more
cautious and minimize the solvent then the solute.

As for your query about the input. RES 1 155 means restrain residues 1 to
155 with a harmonic restraint of 100.0 Kcal/mol/A2 to the structure
specified by the -ref flag on the sander executable line.

See http://www.ambermd.org/tutorials/basic/tutorial1/index.htm

For an introduction to MD and the initial minimization etc. You should also
note that the format you describe below is the "old style" group input. You
can now use a newer input format which would be:

ntr=1,

restraint_wt=100.0, restraint_mask=':1-155;,

which would accomplish the same thing.

All the best

Ross