Re: AMBER: Extracting the electric field (and its gradient) on particular solute atoms

From: Tom Darden <darden.niehs.nih.gov>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:30:53 -0400 (EDT)

john
the field gradients are involved in forces where dipoles are used
that is, energy terms come from dipole dotted with field and forces from
dipole dotted against field gradient
Note the contribution to field and field gradients from other
atom's dipoles can be ignored if you have a charge only system---but you
can get the contribution from charges using the below codes:

  for the reciprocal part, look in
"grad_sum_dipolerc" in ew_dipole_recip.f
for the direct, look in
"short_ene_dip" inside short_ene.f
for the 1-4 fields and gradients, look in
"get_14_dipole" inside extra_pts.f
finally need to fix for valence terms (recall the reciprocal terms contain
1-1,1-2,1-3 and 1-4 terms, that either should be missing or scaled)
correction is in
"nb_adjust_dipole" in ew_force.f

this should at least get you started
tom d