Re: AMBER: modifications to force field for Fe4S4 cubane

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:30:30 -0800

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007, Boutheïna Kerkeni wrote:

> 1)The first problem I encountered is that my newly created pdb from
> frcmod file, when visualzed in VMD is completely disconnected no
> bonds between atoms! Is this normal?

VMD uses distance heuristics to decide if there is a bond. Since it doesn't
know anything about iron sulfur bonds, it doesn't draw them. If I use the pdb
file you included in VMD, I see S-C bonds (as I expect), so it is not
"completely disconnected". Not sure what you are seeing.

If you load your off file into xleap, and view it there, you should see the
bonds.

> 2) The second being: how to connect the CB(CT) carbons to CA (ie the
> rest of the 4 CYS of this cubane)??

Use the bond command in LEaP to do this. Note that you will have to define a
special CYS residue that only has the backbone atoms, and use this in place of
the "regular" CYS residues--otherwise, you would have two copies of the SG and
CB atoms.

[We are also working on FeS cubane parameters; we chose to make the "cut"
between the CYS SG and the Fe4S4 cluster, but I don't see much to argue one
way or the other. Send me private email if you are interested. We've done a
some force constant optimization, but not are not finished with that step.]

...regards...dave case